For Immediate Release: October 28, 2016
FREDERICTON, N.B. - Ignite Fredericton’s Artrepreneur-in-Residence Program is now accepting applications from artists for the 2017 year.
The Artrepreneur-in-Residence program was created by Ignite Fredericton and Planet Hatch in 2016 as part of their Culture Connect initiative. The program, entitled “artrepreneur” as a portmanteau of “artist” and “entrepreneur”, offers entrepreneurial support to members in the arts sector, accepting anyone from weavers to writers. To date, the program has been a success, with two Artrepreneurs completing the program and two more lined up.
“For me it was a great stepping-stone into figuring out the right direction. I made amazing connections with other business people and photographers that have helped already,” says photographer and first Artrepreneur-in-Residence, Kate Roy of Kate Roy Photo and Film. “If you really push yourself, anything can happen at Planet Hatch.”
Artists in the program receive space to work at Planet Hatch, free attendance to Planet Hatch events of their choice, a space to decorate and show off their work or inspirations, access to the Fredericton MakerSpace, and entrepreneurial support and services. The commitment expected of the artists are as follows:
- One to three months, spending at least 5 to 10 hours minimum per week at Planet Hatch.
- Participating in our monthly Office Hours as a mentor, sharing expert advice.
- Participating in at least one of the free networking events per month.
- Writing a blog piece introducing your business and what you hope to learn as the Artist-in-Residence.
- Participating in an exit interview and recommending another local artist.
To learn more and apply, visit planethatch.com/en/blog/calling-for-artrepreneurs/.
About Ignite Fredericton
Mission: Fuelling Entrepreneurs for Economic Growth!
Vision: Startup Capital of Canada
As the community economic development organization, Ignite Fredericton provides free and confidential business counselling and tools to help entrepreneurs start, grow or locate a business. Core functions include:
- Supporting Entrepreneurs.
- Attracting & Retaining Talent through Immigration, Student Retention & Repatriation.
- Strengthening the Economic Development Ecosystem through Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships.
Media Contact: Laurie Guthrie, Economic Development Specialist, 506.444.4686,
- 30 -